Yes. We went there. Breakfast style. Homemade pizza is a staple for us. We will put any vegan shenanigans on top of pizza dough and it always gets eaten… fast. In this case we handmade dough, added thinly sliced tomatoes and onions, vegan style mozzarella, eggs and bacon, and topped with spinach leaves and balsamic dressing. Delectable pizza post. Also to explain the foil lined photos, the baking pan used is very mean to clean and anything and everything will stick to it. Foil is the only option here, we have tried, it’s time for a new one.
Hickory and Sage Vegan Bacon
Balsamic on Pizza
We both own a mandolin and used that to slice the tomatoes and onions super thin as a delicious base. Our version is a 10 dollar IKEA find. Here is a not so great picture~ 😛
Okay first lets talk dough. As in pizza dough. We believe making it from scratch is the only way to go. For this topping pairing we added fennel seeds to the dough to make things interesting.
3 ½ c unbleached all-purpose flour + about ¼ for kneading
¾ tsp salt
1 pkg dry active yeast
1 c water
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1) Firstly add yeast and sugar to water, should be lukewarm water. Normally we use warm water from the sink facet or heat it up in a glass measuring cup for 30 seconds. SHOULD NOT BE HOT. Or you will kill the yeast and your dough won’t rise. Let this concoction sit for 5-10 minutes or until you see some froth developing on top.
2) While you wait for said froth to happen add the remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
3) Stir in yeast mixture to flour mixture and fold into itself. It will be sticky. (We usually us a wooden spoon or rubber spatula) It’s kneading time. Add some more flour on a clean counter top or in bowl if desired and knead that dough, stretch it, squish it, punch it. Whatever works for you. Then cover with damp cloth or plastic wrap and let sit. The longer it sits the more it will rise and the fluffier and thicker it will become. We recommend an hour or so but 20 minutes will do too if hunger takes over.
4) Then stretch it and roll it out with a rolling pin or use your hands (like we do) to make a circular pizza shape. It should not be excessively floured but should not be sticky anymore.
5) Place on baking sheet, add pizza toppings, cook at 350º F for 30-35 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved, bottom should be light brown.
Topping time. Who doesn’t love toppings all over vegan pizza? And Bacon? Vegan Bacon? Yes please.
1 tbsp olive oil
½ block extra firm tofu
½ pkg Hickory & Sages bacon
1 c mozzarella Daiya shredded cheese
1 small yellow onion
1 medium tomato
1 c spinach leaves
2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1) Drain tofu and crumble in a bowl with fork and add chopped (used scissors) bacon to pan with oil. Sauté until tofu browns.
2) Meanwhile, slice onion and tomato or use mandolin. Add to dough for pizza base layer. Add cheese.
3) Add cooked tofu egg and bacon scramble, spinach, and sprinkle with balsamic and bake! 350º for 30-35 min.