We told you they would be coming and here they are; our first attempt at homemade buns… and they turned out gloriously. Glorious indeed. We even ended up eating a few without a vegan burger and just hummus. It is safe to say these babies could be served as rolls as well.
The bun can make or break the burger. In this case it made the burger. We made a sweet potato/quinoa concoction vegan burger topped with whiskey ketchup and it was delectible.
This super simple recipe takes little effort but a little waiting time. This is a plan ahead recipe!! Total time is approximately 2 hours and 10 minutes. Dough must rise to create that fluffy texture.
Light & Fluffy
1 tbsp active dry yeast
½ c warm water
2 tbsp organic white sugar
½ c non-dairy milk (We used almond)
1 flax egg*
2 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
1 tsp pink himalayan salt
½ tsp dried dill
½ tsp dried rosemary
½ tsp dried basil
3 c + 2 tbsp all-purpose unbleached flour
1 tbsp vegan butter, melted (EarthBalance)
1) Pour warm water and yeast together in a standing mixer and let sit for 10 minutes.
2) In a seperate bowl whisk together almond milk, flax egg, coconut oil (melted), sugar and salt. Add mixture to yeast water.
3) Using the standing mixer, (hand mixer will work too!) mix in 3 c flour and spices for 10 minutes on low speed. Cover and let rise for approximately 1 hour.
4) Dust counter with flour (2 tbsp) & work the dough into 8 balls (buns). Set them on a cookie sheet & let them rise another 30 minutes until they are hamburger (vegan burger) size.
5) Brush tops of buns with melted vegan butter and bake @ 375° F for 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden.
*1 Flax egg= 1 tbsp ground flax meal + 3 tbsp water